The Hopkinsville Fire Dept. would like to remind the public of some winter safety issues. With the extreme cold weather it is important to follow the following guidelines.
Look After Elderly Relatives and Neighbors
• Check their smoke alarms to protect their lives.
• Ensure that they are warm but make sure they understand the following tips:
Smoke Alarm Maintenance
• Have a smoke alarm on every level of your home.
• If you haven't checked your batteries recently, check them now.
Carbon Monoxide Alarm Maintenance
• Have a CO alarm near each of the sleeping areas of your home.
• Test batteries today.
Keeping Warm During Periods of Extreme Cold
Use of Space Heaters
• Never use gas or electric ranges and ovens to heat your home.
• Keep combustible materials such as newspapers or clothing at least 3 feet (36 inches) away from portable heaters.
• Never place portable heaters at the bottom of the stairway. This will block the escape route in the event of a fire.
• When using portable electric heaters, check cords for cracks, breaks or loose connections. Never overload electrical sockets!
Use of Portable Kerosene Heaters
• Use only approved K-1 kerosene, never gasoline!
• Never fill or refill kerosene heaters indoors.
• Avoid overfilling your heater.• Never store kerosene or other flammable liquids indoors.
During Freezing Temperatures
• Know how to get out of your home in case of emergencies. Ensure windows and doors are in working order. Make sure everyone in your home knows what to do in case of an emergency.
• Never leave children alone in the home, even for a short period of time.
• Avoid trying to thaw frozen pipes with a blow torch or other open flame. Seek help from a licensed plumber.
• Remember your commitment to fire safety. Now is not the time to relax or to be careless with fire. In fact, special attention should be given to fire safety during freezing temperatures.
Micah Mission Center
If you need a place to get warm during the day, Micah Mission Center is open to the public. Hours of operation are Monday-Thursday from 9am to 1pm. Micah Mission is located at 209 South Main Street. For more info, visit facebook.com/MicahMissionCenter.