The City of Hopkinsville Division of Parks and Recreation makes facilities available for public use, schedules and reserves the use of designated facilities and charges rental fees where appropriate. Parks and recreation facilities may be reserved and scheduled for use by individuals or recognized community organizations. All events held as fundraisers at parks and recreation facilities must be arranged through and contracted under 501(c) organizations identified by IRS Publication 557 and appropriately approved by the city.
DeBow Recreation Complex - Located on North Drive, at Thomas Street, DeBow Recreation Complex is a 20 acre community park, renovated in 2008 with 4 soccer fields, a restroom/concessions building, a playground, a 9-hole disc golf course, paved parking areas, and Troy Sowell Pavilion, which is available for reservations and rental. Free Wi-Fi access available from HES EnergyNet.
East 2nd Street Park - Located on E. 2nd Street, near the intersection of Brown Street, East 2nd Street Park is a 1/2 acre neighborhood park, with a playground, park benches, and a basketball court.
East 18th Street Park - Located on E. 18th Street, at the intersection of S. Campbell Street, East 18th Street Park is a 1 acre neighborhood park, with a playground, tennis court, park benches, and picnic tables.
Joe Mumford Park - Located off Woodmill Road, at the southeast end of Falls Lane, Joe Mumford Park is a 3.5 acre neighborhood park, with a playground, 2 picnic shelters, and a basketball court.
Kenny Litchfield Complex (at Ruff Park) - Owned by Christian County Fiscal Court and located off North Drive on Litchfield Drive, within Ruff Park, the Kenny Litchfield Complex includes 8 baseball fields and is the home of Hopkinsville YMCA youth baseball programs. League information is available at http://www.hopkinsvilleymca.org or phone (270) 887-5382.
Little River Park - Located in downtown Hopkinsville on Bethel Street between, 7th and 9th Streets, Little River Park encompasses 2.78 acres along the Little River and includes sidewalks, rose beds, and a fountain. It is a portion of a greenway which extends south from West 7th Street past the Hopkinsville-Christian County Public Library, and west to Westside Park, along the bed of an abandoned rail spur. Little River Park is available for public use, but may only be reserved for City sponsored or city co-sponsored events. Free Wi-Fi access available from HES EnergyNet.
Peace Park - Located on the southwest corner of E. 9th Street and S. Campbell Street, Peace Park is a 1 acre historic park bequeathed to the City by the late John C. Latham in 1909, after his tobacco warehouse on this site was destroyed by fire during the Black Patch Tobacco Wars and the Night Rider's protests and violence of that period. The park includes a tennis court, sidewalks, park benches, abundant shade trees, and is surrounded by a beautiful stone wall.
Ruff Park - Located off North Drive, at Litchfield Drive, Ruff Park is a 49 acre community park, with 12 lighted tennis courts, 2 playgrounds, open game field areas, paved parking, and Herb Hays Pavilion, which is available for reservations and rental. Free Wi-Fi access available from HES EnergyNet.
Tie Breaker Family Aquatic Center - Located at 9503 Eagle Way Bypass, Tie Breaker Family Aquatic Center opened in 2007. The facility offers the community and surrounding counties affordable summer fun with features including Hurricane Alley, Riptide Express, Ripple River, the Splash Zone, and the Snack Attack. Free Wi-Fi access available from HES EnergyNet.
Tie Breaker Park - Located at 9501 Eagle Way Bypass, Tie Breaker Park opened in 2001. This 33 acre regional park features 5 lighted baseball/softball fields, with a centrally located scorekeepers/concessions/restrooms building, and accommodates local, regional, state, and national tournaments. The facility includes a walking trail, a playground, 2 outdoor volleyball courts, horseshoe pits, small picnic shelters, public restrooms, paved parking, and the Tommy Gates Pavilion, which is available for reservations and rental. Free Wi-Fi access available from HES EnergyNet.
Thomas Street Recreation Center - Located at 2600 Thomas Street, off North Drive, adjacent to North Drive Recreation Complex, the Hopkinsville Community Center, formerly known as the Recreation Department, includes a full-size gym, stage, meeting rooms, a kitchen, park maintenance and storage areas. Indoor seasonal basketball and volleyball leagues, Summer Adventure Day Camp, and various community programs and events take place here. The gym, meeting rooms, and kitchen are available for reservations and rentals. A 9-hole disc golf course is located on the grounds behind the center.
Trail of Tears Commemorative Park - Located at 100 Trail of Tears Drive, off E. 9th Street, this 34 acre park is on a portion of the campground used by the Cherokee Indians on the infamous Trail of Tears, and includes the Heritage Center, the gravesites and statues of Chiefs White Path and Fly Smith, a flag court, walking trails, a playground, small picnic shelters, and public restrooms. Each September, on the first full weekend after Labor Day, the Trail of Tears Park Commission hosts an intertribal Pow Wow at the Park. Free Wi-Fi access available from HES EnergyNet.
Virginia Park - Located on the northeast corner of E. 9th Street and S. Campbell Street, Virginia Park is a 2 acre, historic park, bequeathed to the City by the late John C. Latham in 1909, in honor of his mother. Originally designed by the landscape architectural firm of Frederick Law Olmstead, who also designed New York City's Central Park and many of the parks in Louisville, Kentucky. Virginia Park currently includes the original band stand, sidewalks, park benches, and picnic tables.
Walnut Street Center (Boys & Girls Club) - The Boys and Girls Club of Hopkinsville-Christian County is located at 1600 Walnut Street. Walnut Street Center, as it was formerly known, is also the site of the original Hopkinsville High School stadium. This 10 acre facility includes 4 basketball courts, 2 playgrounds, horseshoe pits, picnic tables, grills, a multi-purpose soccer/softball field, and paved parking. The Boys and Girls Club may be contacted at (270) 887-4020.
West 1st Street Park - This 3 acre park is located at the corner of West 1st Street and Riverfront Drive, adjacent to Hopkinsville Department Station #1, and includes a playground, a sidewalk with fitness stations, and park benches.
West 18th Street Park - Located on W. 18th Street, across from Jennie Stuart medical Center, this 1/2 acre neighborhood park includes a playground, park benches, and picnic tables.
Westside Park - Located at 533 W. 9th Street, near the Christian County Justice Center, this 2 1/2 acre park is one of the 3 historic parks deeded to the City by William A. Wilgus, who in 1909, left his fortune to the children of Hopkinsville for playgrounds and their upkeep. Originally dedicated as the Wilgus Playground in 1919, today there is a shelter, a playground, picnic tables, and grills.