Hopkinsville Solid Waste Authority announced annual leaf collection will begin Wednesday, November 1 and continue through January 31, 2018. As part of the program, leaves are collected by large vacuum trucks that cross each section of the city, making two complete passes through each neighborhood and multiple passes on major thoroughfares.
The public may visit hoptown.org/leaves for helpful guidelines during leaf season and the latest collection zone schedule, showing where crews are working and when. Customers are also reminded that residential garbage and trash collection routes will continue unaffected during leaf collection season. This means your leaf pick up will not necessarily be the same day you receive regular service.
Residents who use compostable bags should call the Solid Waste office at one of the following numbers to have those bags picked within 48 hours: (270) 887-6245, (270) 887-6244, (270) 887-6246, or (270) 887-6247.
Guide to Quality Service –Help speed up leaf collections by taking note of the following guidelines.
- To find out where collection crews are working, be sure to check for leaf collection updates at www.hoptown.org/leaves, follow our progress on Facebook and Twitter, or lookout for signs in your neighborhood.
- Be ready on collection day. Crews will make a complete pass through the city before beginning their second pass, so it may be several weeks before they are in your area again.
- Place leaves curbside and in your yard, not on the sidewalks or edges of driveways and streets, as this obstructs proper drainage and may cause equipment damage. If you notice drainage grates clogged in your area, please call (270) 890-0600 or visit hoptown.org/help to request cleaning.
- Do not wet leaves. Frozen leaves may damage vacuum equipment.
- Do not place leaves over water meter covers or other obstructions.
- Do not mix leaves with limbs, brush, sticks, trash, rocks, bricks, or the like. Leaves containing these materials may be bypassed in order to prevent equipment damage and collection delays.
- Do not block leaf piles with vehicles.
Have additional questions? Please contact the Hopkinsville Solid Waste Authority at (270) 887-6245.