In 2014, the Yard of the Month Award will be replaced by the "Your Beautiful Hopkinsville" Photo Contest.
The goal of the Yard of the Month Award is to recognize the efforts of Hopkinsville residents who take pride in their home and landscape and inspire others to do the same.
- Yard of the Month will be awarded for the months of May, June, July, August, and September.
- Twelve homes may be selected each month (one home from each ward).
- Each yard is limited to winning the award only once in any calendar year.
- All areas of the yard visible from the street(s), will be judged.
- Yard of the Month signs will be placed in the winning yard and are to remain the entire month.
You may nominate your own or another’s landscape. Notify the Hopkinsville Beautification Commission of your nomination by phone, mail, email or this online form.
City of Hopkinsville
Yard of the Month
101 North Main Street
Hopkinsville, KY 42240
You must submit the name and complete address of the nominee. Nominations that do not give the address cannot be judged. All entries must be in by the 1st of the month and will be considered for the following month. Non-awarded yards will remain on the eligible judging list for the remainder of the year.
Winning Yard of the Month:
Judges will use the general criteria below when choosing Yard of the Month. These are only guidelines and the final decision is based on the evidence of the homeowner’s pride in his or her yard.
- Yard is well-groomed
- Yard is attractive; pleasing to the eye (e.g. green lawn; a variety of plants such as trees, shrubs, ground cover, flowers, wildflowers; plants with a variety of heights, textures, and colors; landscape features such as fountains, large rocks in beds, etc.)
- Buildings, fences, porches, and patios on the property are in good repair (i.e. minimal distraction from the landscape due to deterioration, damage or construction)
- Extra consideration may be given to properties that have invested extra effort through the use of attractive art pieces (e.g. pottery, ironwork), potted plants, birdhouses, patio or lawn furniture, windsocks, decorative mailboxes, etc
- Yard is free of litter, junk and debris (no appliances or indoor furniture on porches or patios)
- Yard is free of junked or inoperable vehicles
- House numbers are displayed attractively
- Does a passerby sense that the homeowner has pride in his or her landscape and property
Winners will receive:
- A specially designed "Yard of the Month" sign placed in their front yard for one month
- A certificate of recognition signed by the Mayor
- Recognition on the City of Hopkinsville website