2020 Downtown Farmers Market
The Farmers Market is opening up on Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 7am!
Thank you so much for being a loyal patron. We appreciate your support, friendship, and dedication to buying local. In these unprecedented times, we are having to make changes to our regular operations to help with virus containment. We are asking everyone to adhere to the Kentucky Department of Agriculture protocols and requirements to allow vendors and market staff to efficiently and effectively serve customers instead of enforcing compliance.
Here is a list of modifications that customers can expect when they visit the Farmer Market on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 7am to 1pm.
• If you do not feel well or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not come to the market – send a friend to pick up your list
• Only one member per household at the Market
• No Pets during this time
• Come prepared. Follow our Market Facebook page for updates. We will try to provide a list of available products being offered each week so you can make a list
• Customers need to wear face masks/cloths and avoid touching your face and phone
• Please do NOT bring re-useable shopping bags to the Market as we are only allowed to use new bags
• Enter the market through designated points. Our market is trying to manage traffic in a certain manner to assist with appropriate social distancing and avoid bottlenecks. There will be roped off areas so customers know where not to go and signage to help guide customers with directions and safety precautions.
• Vendor booths will be arranged differently; they will be placed to allow for the formation of single lines out from each booth (see diagram for vendor layout and location)
• Customers will see lines or spaces identified on the ground where they can form a line to wait to access the vendor they want to make purchases from
• There will also be arrows pointing away from each booth to denote a clear exit pathway
• Shop with your eyes not with your hands. Please do NOT touch any product that a vendor has displayed; allow the vendor to pick up and pack up your selections
• Vendors will be doing their best to separate the handling of money and selection of produce. If you don’t see your vendor adhering to this, please respectfully give them a polite reminder, as these are hard times to keep up with and they are trying to minimize wait times for each customer.
• Be swift when making your purchases. If we are being honest, we all have a favorite vendor and we look forward to talking to them as much as we look forward to buying their products. But now is not the time to catch up. Please choose your products, pay the vendor and proceed to the next vendors line or exit. These are trying times for all of us, and with these added safety measures, your transactions may take longer than usual.
• Wash all produce with running water before consuming!
We ask that everyone be patient as we implement these changes and amend them as necessary to create the most optimal shopping environment under these conditions. Remember the new procedures are to ensure your health and safety so please follow them.
Downtown Farmers Market
The Downtown Farmers Market is located in Founder’s Square parking lot at the corner of 9th & Main Streets in Historic Downtown Hopkinsville. It is home to local vendors who specialize in agricultural products. The Downtown Farmers Market is a Kentucky Proud Market so you are guaranteed the area’s best selection of locally grown and produced fruits, veggies, home-canned goods, home-baked goods, honey and honey-related products, bedding plants, perennials, cut-flowers, herbs, specialty products and hand-crafted items. We have a variety of proteins available at the Market which include farm fresh eggs, chickens (whole, liver, gizzards, feet), cuts of pork and beef, platter or jowl bacon, fresh ground pork, hot/mild sausage, beef brisket, Steaks (Ribeye, New York Strip, Filet, Flat Iron, Sirloin) and even rabbit meat.
We have a new initiative this year!
Cooking from scratch has become less common – some might even say it’s a lost art. The Downtown Farmers Market and Christian County Extension Office are collaborating to bring to the Farmers Market on site cooking demonstrations by local celebrities who are chefs by trade or practice culinary art for fun! Each chef will whip up a Kentucky Proud Recipe using locally sourced seasonal vegetables, fruits, and proteins available weekly at the Market. We will host several free cooking demonstrations where participants will be able to sample the finished dishes while supplies last. Readymade food boxes with the delicious, nutritional, and affordable ingredients as well as the recipes patrons just tasted will be available for purchase in limited quantities at the Market on Cooking Demonstration Days. The “Local Taught Market Bought” series will run through October 26th on the following dates and times:
Wednesday, May 29th @ 11:30AM – Heather & Graham Dawson & Lane Meinert
Saturday, June 8th @ 10:30AM – Shateeka Osbourne
Saturday, July 20th @ 10:30AM – Adam Barnes-Gallerie
Wednesday, July 31st @ 11:30AM – Cody Noffsinger
Saturday, August 10th @ 10:30AM – Margaret Prim
Wednesday, August 21st @ 11:30AM – Zirconia Alleyne & Desaepa Vansauwa
Wednesday, September 4th @ 11:30AM – Devon Jenkins
Saturday, September 28th @ 10:30AM – Betty Adams
Saturday, October 26th @ 10:30AM – Taylor Hayes
The Downtown Farmers Market accepts Debit, Credit, and EBT cards, Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Vouchers, and WIC.
Follow the Downtown Farmers Market on Facebook for the most up to information on events and in season products available each day the market is open: facebook.com/HopkinsvilleDowntownFarmersMarket